Briary Cottages at Iletts Farm is situated just north of Brackley, an historic market town dating back to 1086.
Originally built on the intersection of the wool and lace trading routes between London, Birmingham, Cambridge and Oxford, Brackley is a thriving centre of boutique shops, cafes, weekly Friday farmers’ market and is home to the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One team. Brackley also has a modern leisure centre with a 25m pool, dedicated learner pool and large gym.
As well as Brackley, the nearby towns of Buckingham (8 miles away) and Banbury (11 miles away) are worth a visit. If you’re feeling sporty, both towns hold a 5km Parkrun at 9am every Saturday!
Cotswold Wildlife Park
Woburn Safari Park
Milton Keynes Snowdome
Rookery Open Farm
Grand Union Canal and Museum
Buckinghamshire Railway Centre
Evenley Wood Garden
Are you a lover of F1 or MotoGP? Silverstone Racetrack offers a great experience for all the family. As the home of British motor sport, Silverstone hosts some of the best motor racing in the world. The circuit is just 6.5 miles away (10 minutes by car) and the Silverstone Interactive Museum is a must for any motor sport fan. www.silverstone.co.uk
Lying close to the borders of Northamptonshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, Briary Cottages are lucky to be surrounded by many National Trust gems and other stately homes. Nearby are:
- Stowe Gardens with its intriguing Georgian temples, grand landscapes and wonderful café. nationaltrust.org.uk/stowe
- Waddesdon Manor, the stunning Rothschild house and gardens, holds many interesting events throughout the year. https://waddesdon.org.uk/
- Canons Ashby is a tranquil Tudor manor house set in rare terraced gardens, managed by the National Trust. nationaltrust.org.uk/canons-ashby
- Sulgrave Manor is the Georgian and Tudor house built by the ancestors of American President George Washington. https://sulgravemanor.org.uk/
- Claydon Court is a thriving country estate which holds events and has a courtyard hub with eating and shopping to enjoy. https://claydonestate.co.uk/
- Blenheim Palace, the magnificent home of Sir Winston Churchill and the beautiful market town of Woodstock are just a 35 minute drive away. https://www.blenheimpalace.com/
To enjoy a tranquil stroll, try Evenley Wood Garden https://www.evenleywoodgarden.co.uk/ or Whistley Woods, both a short drive from Briary Cottages.
The historic university city of Oxford is a great place for a day visit and is just 40 minutes’ drive away. The ‘city of dreaming spires’ offers river cruising, open-top bus tours, museums, theatres and shopping. You can even follow in the footsteps of Inspector Morse. https://oxfordcity.co.uk/
Built in 1967, Milton Keynes is one of the fastest growing and modern looking cities in Europe. MK has everything from an indoor real snow ski slope, Big Rock climbing, large indoor shopping centre and outdoor venues like Campbell Park, Willen Lake and Gullivers Land. www.destinationmiltonkeynes.co.uk
If you’re looking for some retail therapy, there’s nowhere better than Bicester Village with its designer goods at discounted prices. Bicester Village is around 25 minutes’ drive from Briary Cottages. https://www.tbvsc.com/bicester-village/en
Places to visit with children
Briary Cottages are within a comfortable day-trip distance of Warwick Castle, Harry Potter Studios, Cotswold Wildlife Park, Woburn Safari Park, Milton Keynes Snowdome, Rookery Open Farm, Grand Union Canal and Museum, Buckinghamshire Railway Centre. For rainy days, there are numerous local options with cinemas, bowling alleys, climbing walls and trampoline centres all within easy reach.